The absurd Way of the Cross/Way of Justice, championed each Good Friday by various parishes and chancery offices of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati, adopted an “Occupy Wall Street” meme this year.

Be sure to remember that when you consider your contribution to the CMA.

Here’s a snippet from the Cincinnati Enquirer‘s coverage:

“Today we stand in union with those who are broken, tortured and bearing crosses in our world, just as Jesus did 2,000 years ago,” said Sister Alice Gerdeman, director of event sponsor the Intercommunity Justice and Peace Center, Over-the-Rhine. “We feel the pain and violence and trust God’s spirit to lead us in the work of justice and peace.”

Just six months after Occupy Wall Street swept into cities across the nation, including Cincinnati, the last Way of Justice added an explanation point to the movement.

As 250 looked on in the mid-day sun, a man holding a bright yellow sign over his head that read “TOP 1% … $1,200,000+” jumped down from the Fountain Square stage. He symbolically left the rest of the country’s 99 percent of wage earners far behind and walked deep into and through the assembly.

“This is how much income for the top 1 percent increased from 1979 through 2008,” the narrator said from the stage.

Advertisements